Posted on: Friday, September 10, 2010 | Posted by: Art of Living Universe

Learning about power of silence..

A DIFFERENT SPIN By JO-JO STRUYS

A meeting with Guruji becomes a timely reminder on not going too fast in life... (Friday, September 3, 2010)

WHEN I was flipping through The Star a few weeks ago, an article written by T. Selva on "Sweet Silence" caught my attention.

At the time, I was yelling at my three dogs to stop barking because someone was at the door and my phone was ringing while I was in the midst of sending a Twitter message.

I remember thinking what a terrible example I was of "sweet silence".

I've read countless books on how important it is to silence the mind because living in a world surrounded by noise and constant stress can overtax our bodies and drain our creative energies.

In the midst of a manic film schedule, I was intrigued by the impending visit of a famous Indian guru called Sri Ravi Shankar (also referred to as Guruji).

He is the founder of the Art of Living Foundation, which aims at relieving both individual stress and societal problems and violence.

Today, the Art of Living Foundation is the world's largest volunteer-based non-governmental organisation.

It has touched more than 20 million people from all walks of life.

The Guruji has also been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Here's the odd part. I was at The Star two days later and by sheer coincidence, I ran into Selva.

He gave me the contact information I required and said if I was meant to meet the Guruji, it would happen.

As it turned out, I missed the seminar in Kuala Lumpur but the Guruji was scheduled to visit Penang.

An incredible 13,000 people showed up to get a glimpse of him and to hear his words of wisdom.

In attendance during his one-hour talk was Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng.

I was actually in Penang at that time to film my new food show. I couldn't believe my luck!

I ended up having a private audience with him and...

Read More


No comments:

Post a Comment