Stillness in the City that Never Sleeps

Posted on: Thursday, April 21, 2011 | Posted by: Art of Living Universe

Last Sunday, I was in a crowd that is the essence of New York City -- writers and bankers, shopkeepers and taxi drivers, Americans, ex-pats and immigrants. But this time, rather than horns blaring, cell phones demanding our attention, and people in game-face rushing to their next meetings, this mix of humanity that is New York sat completely still. 2,700 people had gathered together in Lincoln Center's Avery Fisher Hall for the launch of I Meditate NY, a campaign to bring the rejuvenating benefits of meditation to New Yorkers. Posters were all over the city about this event, emails had been flying, and quite a buzz had been created on Facebook. Still, I was amazed at the crowd that was drawn together here. I even bumped into a friend from my freshman year, whom I hadn't seen in about ten years!



The event began with these written words from New York's Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg: "New York has always been a city where people of every background and belief strive to live together in harmony. Our residents proudly claim heritage from every corner of the globe, and our administration continues to promote innovative practices that help us all live longer, more fulfilling lives. That is why I am pleased to applaud "I Meditate New York" for helping New Yorkers refresh, recharge, and overcome the stress that can sometimes result from living and working in a city as fast-paced and dynamic as ours.

Read more: The Huffington Post.

No comments:

Post a Comment